Monday, February 13, 2012

Author Interview: Amanda Grace

Stopping in today to celebrate her recent release In Too Deep is Amanda Grace!


What would be the worst for you if your best friend got caught in Sam's lie, knowing they had lied or knowing that you thought it had happened in the first place?

I think it would be worst to think that my best friend had actually been a real victim. I don’t know if I could forgive her for villainizing an “innocent” guy, but at least I’d know she hadn’t been hurt in such a horrendous act.

Which character was the most challenging for you to write and develop?

Definitely Sam, the main character. I struggled with how to make her seem sympathetic, because she’s doing something unforgiveable. She’s completely slandering another person. It was hard to set up her motivations. I had to change everything around her—more than once—to make it work.

If you could pair Sam and Nick with any character from any book, who would you pick for each?

Ooh! What a fun question. Sam is a person who struggles to stand up for herself and tends to fear confrontation. It’s hard to say if she’d be better off with adventurous, funny, dirt-bike riding Ben from YOU WISH, or the more sweet, quiet, sincere Cole from RIPPLE. Is it better to have someone challenge you and push you outside your comfort zone, or someone who gets you just as you are?

For Nick, he’s goofy and smart, popular by virtue of being Class president and valedictorian. I’d love to see him paired with Peyton from GETTING CAUGHT, who is after all the same things and also Ivy-league bound.

Besides Voldemort, which Death Eater would you want to fight?

Um, I have no idea what a Death Eater is. If I admit I haven’t read Harry Potter, will I have to duck to avoid sticks and stones? (Magic wands and quidditch balls? They use balls, right?)

What kind of bird would you describe yourself as?

Most days I feel like a penguin, marching along with everyone else. But I can be the one in happy feet, because I am known to spontaneously bust out in awkward dance maneuvers. And I like the idea of monogamy.


Thank you, Amanda, and congrats on the release!

In Too Deep is on shelves now, so make sure you check it out! It's definitely emotional!


No comments:

Post a Comment