Monday, September 26, 2011

Author Interview: Rae Carson

Woohoo! Hitting up the blog today is Rae Carson, author of the much talked about Girl of Fire and Thorns which is, conveniently, out tomorrow. So check out this interview, then check out the book, because you know you don't want to miss out!



What would be the hardest part for you to be a secret wife, even to a king?

I couldn't do it! It would make me feel small and used, and I deserve better. Anyone who wanted a relationship with me to remain secret would get his you-know-what kicked to the curb--even a king.

Which character was your favorite to develop and explore?

Cosmé was delightful to write. I wanted a "mean girl" to be Elisa's nemesis, but the more I wrote about her, the more I liked her. Her scenes seemed to sparkle, like she was breathing life onto the page without my help! So I knew I had to make her more important. Pretty soon, she was revealing things to me, like the fact that she is secretly very ambitious, or that her hardness comes from a broken heart.

So, let's talk hot boys. Tell me about the ones in your book.

There are three! King Alejandro, Elisa's arranged husband, is the kind of guy for whom girls would stand in line at the red carpet twenty-four hours in advance--and then weep if they brushed his clothing. He's beautiful and charming, and he knows how to work that smile. Humberto is a boy Elisa's age, a desert nomad. He can kill a rabbit with a sling at twenty paces and find water in the desert. He's kind and soft-hearted, if a bit uncivilized. Hector is the commander of the king's elite Royal Guard and Elisa's first true friend in her new home. He's quiet and confident, preferring to keep his own counsel, but he occasionally surprises himself by expressing his true thoughts to Elisa.

What god/goddess would be your nemesis?

Is there a Goddess of Fashion Sense? Because if so, she hates me. If she cared for me at all, she would free me from my addiction to scrunchies, fanny packs, and crazy socks.

What kind of pen would you describe yourself as?

I'd love to say I'm a fountain pen--elegant, beautiful, coveted. Alas, the sad truth is I'm totally a ball point--cheap, reliable, blunt. 


Thank you, Rae, for letting me pepper you with questions and congrats on the release! Make sure you guys check this book out. I mean, come on, there are THREE hot boys. Win.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Loved the interview and you are so right! If the cover and premise weren't enough, I got hooked at the mention of three hot guys *fans self*. So glad it's been released:)

    Sarah @ Random Thoughts of A Confused Adolescent

    ReplyDelete