Sunday, October 11, 2009

Novel Update

Well, it seems like a good time for an update on my novel in progress. Chapter 2 first draft has been finished and comments received from Kelli. My third edit on the prologue is done and I really like where its at now. I haven't look at it again since I finished it and sent it to Kelli but apart from one small comment, she liked it and that is where I want it for now. I have some revising to do on Chapter 1 but it can wait for now.

Chapter 3 is started and about 8 or 9 pages in. I keep hitting a little bit of a wall in regards to where I want it to go- I had the same problem with Chapter 2 but am trying to just work through it and just get it going somewhere, even if it ends up changing. Chapter 2 has about 15 pages already of story line that I have cut out but I figure it makes for nice little teasers and extras later on should by trilogy get big (and I have every intention of it being that amazing).

I learned about this from my friend's blog (Books Not Bombs, link on the side) but there is this challenge for aspiring writers called 1000 words a day (there is also a 500 words a day variation) where you try to write 1000 words a day at least 6 days of the week. At first, I couldn't help but think wow, that's a lot of words- until I looked at how many words I had written on Friday while I was at work. It was about 1,650- which I was surprised at though I imagine that is normal for me. I tend to be able to just sit down and start writing and can often crank out 8-15 pages at work, depending on my flow and how much time I have.

So, I have decided that I am going to try my best to make a weekly update on Sunday's, and to probably post my total word or page count for the week. This, of course, is assuming I even remember to try to keep track... so, really, no promises there.... Although I will admit that I usually try to email my progress each day with the date on it and chapter, in part just so that should I get nostalgic down the line, I can look back and see how far I got each day and what not.

My goal for this week is to finish Chapter 3 and get started on 4 but hopefully finish it. I also need to make an outline, adding to it as each chapter is done for when I start trying to find a publisher...

In other news, I have come to realize how bad my book shopping addiction is, given the number of unread books I own. As a result (and after looking at my really high credit card bill), I am going to try my very very best to not buy any more new books for awhile, apart from a few preorders coming out that I want, most of which are already ordered. And so far, I have gone a whole week without buying one book- which is really kind of amazing for me.

Okay, that is enough updating and rambling for now. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment